Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Week 4 Comment #2 Helen Xiong


This comment is in response to Helen Xiong's blog posted below:
I recently watched the interview between Holly Ludgate and Ron Smith and WOW.....what an experience these students in California are going through....It is really amazing to hear what other schools are doing and what types of opportunities there are out there for our future leaders of our world.
It literally made me laugh out loud when Mr. Smith spoke about how teachers become so excited when they make a good powerpoint and I feel like that is the era I began teaching with and now experiencing what I have through EMDT.....wow were they off as well as myself. I started my teaching career making smartboard lessons for all of our math units and I was super proud of them because in every lesson I tried to incorporate something that would be exciting for my students to experience. But now after seeing all of these web 2.0 tools and resources that are free and hands on on the web, it has really opened my eyes to so much more that I was letting slip away from my students. I hope that this next school year I can raise the bar for me and my students and have them experience more through their education through the technology tools I have experienced.
Helen,
I'd like to thank you for reminding me of this interview. It was a fabulous example of what is possible in digital education. I wish your Smartboard lessons were also available for download via Promethean Planet. Have you thought of publishing them? I am sure that you will exceed your high bar of expectations this term. You appear to me as someone who is always striving for true possibility. I too had a giggle when listening to Ron Smith describing the teacher who likes to come in and build their lesson the day before. I'd like to say I've never been there. Ron Smith's advice that frontloading would pay off in the end and yet what a hard-sell it is reminds me of all course-building we did in Schoology. All the best as you frontload for the new school year.


Source: Ludgate Ron Smith Interview Video available at http://web.me.com/edm613/m11/mi-ronsmith.html

1 comment: