Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Week 2 Comment #2 Rick Stemple


The highlight for me was an old quote from one of my favorite artists Pablo Picasso. “Recognizing Pablo Picasso and a train compartment, a man inquired of the artist why he did not paint people the way they really are. Picasso asked what he meant by that expression. The man opened up his wallet and took out a snapshot of his wife, saying, that’s my wife. Picasso responded, isn’t she rather small and flat?”

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg7VT9WFZhLs8KPNL2NDyOHKEkpfilPWbp5UuL4KNwGYYCSpY2RIjjzUoY8Zi_Plkg3PG4AHTkzT6QcqVZa7BnowGeIm7ShDmY3wG_lundJxcTtuTZMU_6lXazHBbviaSMms4LpjHru6h0/s320/Nealon+and+frog.JPG

I love this picture. (Click on link to see his picture.) It is a picture my wife took of my youngest son Nealon and I found it to be a great example of what the authors were talking about in The Art of Possibility. Some find the picture disgusting and ask, why would we let him put a frog on his face? Others thought what a great picture of Nealon having fun with nature.

Rick,

I’m so pleased to hear that you too were moved by the Picasso story. I loved that story and also the Zander’s information about the Me’en people who couldn’t see a photograph as a representation of a person, but rather just a shiny piece of paper.

Your wife’s photo of Nealon is wonderful. It would make a nice introduction to an inquiry lesson. I can see kids asking a number of questions about the frog and how it got onto Nealon’s face. I can also see Nealon having an intimate understanding of what is meant by “cold blooded” without the science lesson. I wonder what Picasso would say about the image? The beauty is in the endless possibility that each of the contributors to your world is invited to share.


Sources:

Image purchased from dreamstime.com

No comments:

Post a Comment