Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Week 1 Comment #2 Cheryl McGovern


This is a comment to a fellow classmate at FSO, Cheryl McGovern. The full transcript of her blog can be found at http://cherylmcgovern.blogspot.com/2011/08/week-1-reading.html

This weeks reading assignment was very much on target for me. I am in the library, and am asked copyright questions all the time. This was very helpful. I was amazed at the fact that copyright lasts a lifetime plus 70 years! WOW! That is one long time! It is a good thing that someone came up with fair use! Teachers would be in so much trouble if fair use was not around!
Cheryl,

I'm very sympathetic to the demands of your job as librarian as my mother is one too. In many ways I suppose that you would be the person most likely asked to police such issues as copyright. Given my knowledge of your CBR project, I'm sure that a lot of the films and cartoons shared with us for this week's reading might show up on the Media Center's website, which you so fantastically developed. Like you, I had only learned the fact that copyright lasts a lifetime plus 70 years earlier this trimester. It came up when I was asking if we could create a library of books on tape by reading library books into our digital recording program and sharing them on our teacher share drive. Well, I was so surprised to be shut-down due to copyright issues. As you said, teachers would be in so much trouble and I would be one of them. Anyway, it was mentioned during the course of that conversation that we might be able to use Dr. Seuss' books as he'd been dead more than 70 years.
I'd love to hear how you feel about or what sort of copyright applies when teachers take the words to common books like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" and manipulate them to make a new text about the members of their class. Would that be considered "fair use?"

Sources:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhoweaa/327651705/sizes/m/in/photostream/

No comments:

Post a Comment