Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Week 3 Comment #1 Sheri Brinkerhoff


In response to Sheri Brinkerhoff's blog at http://sheribrinkerhoff.blogspot.com/

Everyone around me discusses pay cuts, benefit cuts, issues with students, etc. It is very difficult not to fall into this trap. With the beginning of the school year looming, I have decided that I do not want to participate in this type of thinking. My personal goal is to rise above the circumstances of my present through observing Rule No. 6

I agree Sheri. It is very difficult not to fall prey to these discussions especially as we see our friends loosing their livelihoods. I remember being warned as a young teacher not to get in the habit of spending time in the lounge, as this could happen. It seems to me that these discussions permeate meetings, lunches and the playground as well as the lounge. They are hard to escape. Stay firm.

I made a Rule No. 6 sign to hang in my classroom. Yesterday, I told my students the story about the two prime ministers and Rule No. 6. We proceeded to have a discussion on the benefits of Rule No. 6 in reference to creativity. Many students are nervous to take an art class. Past students told me they worry about their own artistic talent to the extent that they think they will not pass. I told students that I did not want them to worry about making mistakes since that is where you learn the most.

Sheri,

It sounds like you are starting off the year with the right attitude and spreading the word. I wonder if the act of “giving an A” would be the way to assuage some of your art student’s fears? I think that the act of self expression is such an important part of growing up, it is a shame that some kids (from the sounds of it) are already listening to the negative messages of the calculating self. I have no doubt that you will turn this around as the kids begin to work on their growth as individuals, building a portfolio of work while recalling the mantra of Rule No. 6.


Sources: Creative Commons Image Badly Stenciled 6 by Kristi Hall available from http://www.flickr.com/photos/fragiletender/5332586649/

1 comment:

  1. When I read that book I immediately started just giving my student's an A. All that they had to do was turn in their work. Surprisingly the work didn't suffer it actually improved and my student's enjoyed class more.

    As for Rule #6, it is a great idea to follow that one, but I found that it is hard to not take things seriously when your paycheck doesn't even last until the next payday. It is admirable that your classmate has decided to stay out of the conversations, and from a self-preservation standpoint, a necessity.

    ReplyDelete