Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Week 3 Comment #2 Heidi Faber



In response to Heidi Faber at http://faberhedm.blogspot.com/

Chapter 7. The Way Things Are:

When I started teaching, I was full ideas and innovations, but in staff rooms and meetings my voice was drowned out by jaded, seasoned teachers complaining about this and that, until one day I found myself sucked into the Downward Spiral Talks.

It is not a coincidence that both you and Sheri have touched on the same tragic phenomenon. It is very difficult not to fall prey to these critical educator discussions. I remember being warned when a young teacher not to get in the habit of spending time in the lounge, as this would happen. It seems that these discussions permeate meetings, lunches and the playground as well as the lounge. They are hard to escape. I too have found myself sucked in and on inglorious occasion, being the negative Nelly downplaying all the greatness around me. Hopefully, in our realization that this is not the path to take and considering it’s all invented we will continue to fight the good fight.

Chapter 8. Giving Way to Passion:

What are you doing in your daily life that expresses your passion or the things you are passionate about?

I am passionate about art and nature. In the brief freedom of summer for my girls (before they go back to school and are sucked into a world mostly devoid of these things), I try to instill as much of these two high held passions as I can. This is one of the main reasons I chose Portland, OR to move to. This city is as passionate about art and nature as I am.

Surely modeling the importance of following your passions in the hub of creative energy that Portland is said to be, will yield high dividends for your girls. Congratulations!


Sources: Creative Commons Image by David Berkowitz available at http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidberkowitz/4452569798/


No comments:

Post a Comment