Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

PE_4_VoiceThread

Little voice met with resounding "no!"

After sending home some initial feelers to my parents about using VoiceThread (VT) in the classroom, I've received my first enthusiastic response! A parent has taken the initiative, "I suppose what we should do now is set up an account and then send an inquiry to you?"
I'm thrilled!

My journey to implement VT as a tool for reflective practice reminds me of waiting in line for an incredible amusement park ride. Picture me in line; all these expectations running through my head, I've really built this ride up = somehow the endless zigzag in the summer heat will be worth the two minutes of whoopeeeeee! However; I'm concerned as I watch the tough guy with tattoos and bulging muscles turn, the words this ride is too scary for me whisper from between the furrows of his brow. Naturally the latter image is a metaphor for a co-worker of mine; someone who has been teaching for a long time, looking at the site and trying to work out how he will fit it all in . I've had this conversation before, I think. I want to scream "yep, I knew it all along you ARE too short to ride this thing!"

I know some other younger, more stealth version of myself has had the same thoughts about me, so I try hard not to judge. Unfortunately, this gavel must be magnetic or something; I can't seem to get rid of the thing. But I digress.

Made loads of progress this week with the RILS project. I'm happy to say that I've learned some things and also realized that you don't always get what you want. Appropriate that the girl who fixated on (VT) using Wiley Coyote is now serenaded by the Stones. Oh, if only I had my Principal under my thumb?
Today the official "decree" that VT will not be a tool that the district will support us with came down. The reasoning: the cam and mic are controlled by VT and not by our mothership. (Raspberry sound.) Worse when we try to use a cam or mic for recording student reflections, there is black air - literally, the screen goes black = blockage.


I will figure a way around this! I am invincible, I am woman....if you are singing along you're old AND cool, who knew it was possible? Certainly not me BB (Before Blogging not King.)









1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Sorry to hear about your issues with VT. It did seem like a fantastic tool to use in the classroom too.

    I don't know if I should admit or not, but I did catch your pop-culture reference at the end. I won't admit to singing out loud.

    ReplyDelete