Desert Living

Desert Living
It's Hot in Saudi

Saturday, January 15, 2011

PE_2_iMovie

It's 11:30PM, do you know where your brain is?  So, I've just started watching the video tutorials on Lynda.  I love Lynda but her taste in men...sometimes, I swear she is blind.  No offense to the bloke she chose to give this tutorial.  I think that he just said that once you've dragged and dropped the first clip into the project that you can just click and highlight and 'then just push the e' to continue to add clips.  My question: Is that an Aussie thing? Does 'push the e' mean hit "enter" or do I literally hit the e key as in some sort of shortcut?  Or more likely, am I so tired I'm mishearing?  Probably the latter.

I am about to make a huge mistake and try and get some sleep before waking early to finish the tutorials and start on my video of the kiddos discovering their prvoc8un (that's sms for provocation, I'm so hip.)

In the morning I intend to stretch my iMagination by finding out what "pressing the e" is all about and how to make the sound drop off more gracefully at the end of an iMovie.  I know that is something that bothered me in my last movie about Xtranormal.  I think the "precision editor" is another feature that I should look into.  I click on it and then immediately throw up the "too hard" flag and return to the self-taught way of doing things.


5:00 AM - Here I am again and with only 1.5 to spare before school.  Some of us have to work on Sunday...gotta love this country.

That is what the instructor said, "press 'e' key" - he took the time to elaborate in a later tutorial!
Very cool I've learned that I don't have to drag and drop all pieces to the project in the same way that I've been doing.  Believe it or not, in my other attempts I have selected a section of film in the browser and then gone to drag it into the project, only to somehow drop it en route and then have to go back and re-select the clip.  Total time-suck.

YES - some instructions for those of us who forget "shortcuts" within 5 mins of learning them 
So here is my other question: Why is it that "natives" think so easily in shortcuts?  I can't even remember, which combination of cmd + ctrl + etc +F3 or F4 we are supposed to use to take a screenshot.  I have to go to "Grab" every time.   Is that just an immigrant thing?  A Christina thing? Yeah, that figures.

So I'm finally getting somewhere with the "fine tuning" information, though I have to say that I've always just double clicked on the beginning or end of a clip head and gotten the same result.  I am happy to know what the numbers that pop up mean = the number of frames being added or edited from the film.

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually experiencing the opposite. Very few of my "natives" can think in shortcuts. If I had to do my AR all over again I think that I would focus on the damage done to native students by immigrant parents who rely heavily on restriction rather than dialogue.

    ReplyDelete